I did Engineering in my hometown. So I never had a chance of experiencing hostel life. My friends, who were studying in different cities, would share glorious tales about their hostel life. It was a world I longed to visit. So when dad gave me an option to pursue my Masters in Bangalore, I agreed. And trust me, none of the intentions were actually about doing masters. They were all crazy ideas only someone like me can think of. Like, ‘I can finally experience hostel life’ or ‘I can live freely for next two years without marriage talks’. You get the drift!
When I shifted to Bangalore for M.Tech, I was super excited because I would finally get to experience the hostel life. But little did I know what was in store for me. The inside hostels were all filled and I was sent to a hostel which was nearly 1 kilometer away from college. I convinced myself saying hostel is hostel, no matter where it is. But when I saw the ground floor room which was allotted to me, I knew I wasn’t going to have a good start! For starters, there was no network at all in that place!!
The first day passed in a breeze as I had lot of work. The second day would always be a memorable one for me because that day, my roommate set the room on fire. Literally! There was a power cut and so we had been to a different room to check Facebook (remember no network in our room). And when we came back, I saw the curtains were burning. More than half of it was burnt and there was a spirit lamp in my roommate’s bag which was just below the curtains. She had froze in fear. I don’t know what took over me but I sprung into action. I switched off the fan which was making the fire worse. I called the security guard and brought a bucket full of water. I wanted to do it myself but was scared I wouldn’t succeed or I would end up making matters worse. When I turned to see, the guard wasn’t there at all! I went out to check and to my horror, he was standing near the stairs, calling out to everyone “Get out right now. The building is on fire” I have no words to describe what I felt at that moment! I had to convince him that it wasn’t the building that was on fire. It was just the curtains in our room and if he doesn’t come soon and put it out, the building might catch the fire as well! That caught his attention finally and he came in. Threw the water which I had brought and extinguished the fire. Phew!!
But it was just the beginning. Apparently, my roommate had lit a candle and kept on the table. She hadn’t put it off neither had she switched off the fan before going out. I, on the other hand, had no clue about any of this! When the power did come, the curtain blew because of the fan and it caught fire as the candle was placed near enough. Did I tell you the curtains were two bed sheets I and my roommate had put up because there were no curtains provided and the window was pretty transparent?
It was 12 am when all this happened. It was nowhere near the end. We had many visitors that day - the security guards, their head, our warden who came running all the way from college. None of it registered in our mind. The only question that was running in my mind was “Will they kick me out?” I sure didn’t want that because I hadn’t experienced hostel life yet 😛
Of course they didn’t kick us out. We had to write an apology letter though! We shifted to a new room, which was even worse and I got a new roommate. Life became awesome with her. She was the best roommate I had till date. Those late night movies, gossips, girl times, chit chat, fights, shopping trips, midnight birthday celebrations, sharing secrets, having each other’s back, breaking rules, cooking Maggi at midnight, getting up late and still making it the first hour lecture.. we did it all 🙂 And my dream of living ‘that’ life was finally checked from my wishlist. But surprisingly, it was this life that taught me how to be responsible.
PS: It is that hostel you have to blame for my blogging hiatus. With no network, I couldn’t write even if I wanted to and slowly, not writing became a habit!
So, have you ever lived in a hostel? What are your most treasured memories of hostel life? Share it with me in the comment section.
PS: Linking this post to A to Z Challenge 2017. If you are participating too, please leave a link to your blog in the comments.
Until the next post,
Keep Smiling 🙂