Hostel Life

1. Dipanwita says:

I have lived in hostels for major part of my life. It was amazing. We used to have photo sessions on Friday nights till wee hours. We used to get into the best attires and have loads of fun. There are innumerable stories that leave us in splits even today. I learned a great deal staying in hostel. I started eating everything without cribbing cz even bad food in hostel was luxury in itself. I also learnt to cook while in hostel.

2. Modern Gypsy says:

Wow, what a way to kick off hostel life – by setting the room on fire, literally!! Now that is a story for the ages! 😉
    Modern Gypsy recently posted…Harness the power of water: 5 fun painting techniquesMy Profile

3. I’m glad you got rid of the ‘fire starter’ room mate!;-D
    I’ve never lived away from home, but moved to Bangalore , from Bombay, 3 years ago and I imagine I am experiencing hostel life:))

4. Vinay Leo R. says:

Not beem a hostelite, but, like you, have heard about tales like this. 🙂 That sounds like a scary start to life in a hostel, but hope you are in a room with proper curtains now. Very careless of the hostel authorities to neglect that.
    Vinay Leo R. recently posted…#AtoZChallenge 2017 – H for HeavenlyMy Profile

5. Vinodini says:

I haven’t lived in a hostel, but I have lived on my own which was somewhat a similar experience. The fire in your room must have really been a nightmare of an experience. Nevertheless, hostel life and living on your own seems worth all the efforts. You make some awesome memories in the process. 🙂
    Vinodini recently posted…Happiness and You #AtoZChallengeMy Profile

6. Shalini says:

A similar thing happened to me as well. I was lying in bed reading a book and my roommate had put the iron rod heater for hot water. Don’t know how but it caught fire and the entire switchboard was on fire. Now I couldn’t throw water also on it since it was electricity (thankfully, I had that much sense) and I was the only person inside the room. All the girls were screaming in unison but weren’t ready to do anything (not even call the guard). I somehow came out of the room (the switchboard was near the door) and switched off the mains. That did the trick. However, this incident had shut off the entire building’s electricity and I thought I will be thrown off of the hostel 😛
    Hostel life is fun but can be daunting as well. This post reminded me of so many such incidents. Awesome post, Swathi 🙂
    Shalini recently posted…Hotel or Hostel?My Profile

7. Nice post!! Brought back memories of my hostel days….we too had our share of disasters & fun!! Got nostalgic after reading this.

8. Kaddu says:

:O :O :O
    You girls set your hostel room on fire! That is so filmy! Hahahaha!
    I’ve never lived in a hostel but have stayed in Girls’ PG couple of times. It was fun. Have also shared a rented flat with other girls. That was even more fun.. but yes, it taught us responsibility too.
    Happy AtoZing!
    Chicky @ http://www.mysteriouskaddu.com
    Kaddu recently posted…A to Z of Happiness: H – Hope #atozchallenge @AprilA2ZMy Profile

The fire incident is some experience!! I have lived in a hostel during MBA days. It was fun time and every day was a party. Made some friends for life out there!
    Shilpa Garg recently posted…OZiva Protein & Herbs Review + High Protein Indian Vegetarian RecipesMy Profile

10. Sreesha says:

When my aunt used to complain that her kids don’t eat at home, I used to tell her to put them in a hostel 😛
    I’ve been in hostels since I was 16, and I loved that life. It teaches you so much which a sheltered life just doesn’t. And while I never learnt to put out fires, I did learn how to do several things independently. 😀
    Sreesha recently posted…Happiness | #AtoZChallengeMy Profile

11. sheela says:

So your hostel life was full of fun and adventure 🙂 Well I never got such chance in my life!
    sheela recently posted…Harmless Halloween #AtoZChallengeMy Profile

12. I lived in a working women’s hostel for a few weeks and that ended my craze for wanting to live in a hostel. I had loved living as a guest in our ladies hostel during exams in our Engineering college though. It was always fun.
    Loved reading your post, Swathi!
    Preethi Venugopala recently posted…Hook the Reader using the Narrative HookMy Profile

13. Never lived in a hostel but I have lived on campus here in Aus for 3 years. It was quite independent in many ways but I shared with three other people. We still cooked our own meals, did our own thing. Having housemates is pretty cool if you get the right one. Otherwise, the psychos are still interesting! 😛
    Sanch @ Sanch Writes recently posted…#HarrishamRhyme: Over #atozchallengeMy Profile

14. Geets says:

Your posts take me back in time and give some serious throwbacks! I’m glad you’re safe and things went perfectly fine later. See… everything happens for a reason, right? If the room wouldn’t have caught fire, you wouldn’t have a new roomie.!!

15. I was very nervous going into a hostel for the first time when I joined mbbs. But in hindsight, it had some of the best memories of my life. Just as you mentioned, lots of wacky stuff besides the late night chats, maggi dinners, studying rarely, dancing et al.
    PG was in a mixed hostel so that turned out to be an even more unique experience though to be honest, it never really got awkward ever. We got so used to each others presence and sitting up late (or early) and studying
    Roshan Radhakrishnan recently posted…Harman Singh – The Hero Who Chose Humanity over Religious Beliefs #AtoZChallengeMy Profile

16. I have also yearned as a child to go to a hostel and experience the life but that never happened till I moved into a PG when I started working but it wasnt the same for me.

Glad you fulfilled your dream.
    Theme: Peregrination Chronicles (travel)
    H is for a stinky high at ChangLa pass in Ladhakh #atozchallenge
    SHALINI BAISIWALA recently posted…[H] Halitosis* High at Chang La Pass |#atozchallenge 2017|My Profile

17. Not a hostel life, but yeah a PG life! But unlike you I haven’t been able to find a good friend in my roommates 😛 And what a crazy 2nd day it must have been!
    Reema D’souza recently posted…#AtoZChallenge : Life is a highwayMy Profile